Sunday 18 September 2016

A Few Days at a Cabin in the Woods | Terrace Days 4-6


We got up bright and early to get ready for a trip to Cody’s family’s cabin, which is off-the-grid and can only be reached by boat. It was a beautiful boat ride up the Kasiks River. We were completed isolated; no other humans around. The landscape was so green and mountainous! I felt truly out in nature. I even saw a bear running up the beach into some bushes.


After parking the boat we had to wade across a creek with all our stuff and then climb up to the trail. There were so many bugs! We walked up the trail to a bridge marked with a spooky tribal-looking mask. So creepy! Apparently it was from an old CD rack. But, if I was out there on my own and didn’t know about it, I’d be so scared to see that mask out in the middle of nowhere! 


The cabin itself was super rustic and full of character. There were tons of old artwork and knick-knacks. There was a separate bathhouse and outhouse. Cody and I had to sleep in bunkbeds with a curtain separating us from the rest of the cabin. Not exactly a romantic set up!

We settled in for a bit and played a game of scrabble, which I lost. We then went out fishing with Doug. It was so lovely and quiet, just listening to the water and birds chirping. I mostly just watched the guys fish, but I did reel in a little trout myself!



The next morning we got up and had coffee and chilled for a bit. Then I made a little breakfast for myself of cereal with blueberries and a banana. Then we headed out for more fishing. On the way back we stopped at their old cabin, which was very small and basic, but still pretty cool! It would be a good size for just a couple.


When we got back, Cody’s sister Tye-Lee had an amazing breakfast ready. She made an egg hash with a bunch of leftovers thrown in, and bacon and eggers made with mini na’an bread! So good. After lunch Tye-Lee and Doug went out fishing, and Cody and I stayed behind to have a nap and keep an eye on Mathew. When they got back, Tye-Lee made us cocktails out of homemade rhubarb juice, ginger-ale, vodka, and lemon juice. It was very refreshing and delicious. 

The next morning we got all packed up to leave the cabin. It had been cloudy and/or rainy the whole time, but the sun peeked out for the boat ride back. It was nice to get back to civilization and cell reception. Cody and I went out for a dinner with his friends and it was a lovely evening.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Wanderlove Laura. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig