Monday 15 February 2016

Five Tips for Snowshoeing


Today I will be sharing five snowshoeing tips! Even though I’ve only gone a few times, I have learned a few things that would help out a first-time snowshoer!

1. Dress in layers
Snowshoeing can be a great workout, and you will definitely work up a sweat despite the cold. I would suggest dressing in layers so you can take them off as you warm up, and then you’ll have warm clothes to put back on afterward when you feel chilled.

2. Protect your eyes
The weather can change very quickly up in the mountains, and it’s good to be prepared. The sun can be very bright and it reflects off the snow, so sunglasses would be very important. On the flip side, if it’s snowing really hard, it might be useful to wear ski goggles to cover your eyes.

3. Poles
If you’re going snowshoeing, I recommend bringing poles. They make so much of a difference and you’ll feel much more stable, especially going up or down hill. I know you can buy specific poles for snowshoeing, but I used ski poles that we already had and they did the trick.

4. Pack water/snacks
It is really important to bring water and food with you. You’ll be exerting yourself and will definitely need water. Bringing a snack is also great (I’m always hungry and need to eat every hour or I’ll start complaining), or you could even plan to have a little picnic in the snow!

5. Bring a phone
I can’t stress enough how important it is to bring a cell phone with you! It is so easy to get hurt or lost, so having a phone with you could save your life! Make sure it is fully charged as well. It’s also great for taking pictures if you don’t want to lug a camera around with you! I keep my phone in a plastic bag to ensure it stays dry.


I hope these tips were helpful! If you are a more experienced snowshoer, feel free to leave your tips or suggestions in a comment below! Or if you're interested, read about one of my snowshoeing adventures here.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Wanderlove Laura. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig